New Year, New MarriageThe new year is finally here! 2022 is a time for resolutions, reflection, and fresh starts. Even if you didn’t make any New Year's resolutions- you can still look at this as an opportunity to start fresh.
Marriage is no different.
There are some things that could be holding your marriage back like self-care or communication. A few steps can help bring your marriage to the next level. If you're looking for ways to revitalize your marriage this year, here are some suggestions that could help to make this the best year ever for you and your spouse.
Get to know the other person
People change and it might be time to get to know each other again. If you're like most people, your relationship with your spouse is different than it was when you first got married. With the busy routines and responsibilities of working or parenting, it can be easy to lose track of one another. There are a few ways that will help you reconnect with your spouse this year:
- Take time out of your day to spend time together
- Fight for each other
- Know each other's strengths and weaknesses
- Talk about what you like about the other person
- Talk about your dreams, hopes, fears, and desires
Create a plan for change
One of the best ways to revitalize your marriage is by taking time to create a plan for change. This doesn't mean that you should immediately go and make drastic changes to everything. It means that you should take time to identify what needs to be fixed, and then work on those things first.
Change is often slow. So don’t hurry! Pick a few things that you’d like to change this year and see how that goes. Don’t overdo it! Take your time and work on the little things. Little changes make huge differences eventually.
Talk about your needs
One of the most important steps to take for a healthy marriage is to talk about your needs. This can be difficult for some couples to do, but it's essential to know what you need from your partner.
It's not always easy to bring up things that are bothering you or make requests, but these conversations are vital for understanding each other and maintaining a healthy relationship.
You know you're doing this step right when both people feel heard and respected by their partner. It helps improve communication in the long term.
If self-care is an area where your marriage could use some help, it’s time to start creating a plan for change!
Speaking of self-care, last year was hard. Chances are you're feeling overworked, stressed, and tired. Maybe the last thing you want to do is spend time with your spouse.
But it's worth it! Especially since it's the new year.
You could explore a hobby together or try something new that neither of you has done before. Enjoy spending time together and then find yourselves with something to talk about!
It can be difficult to take care of ourselves when we're constantly taking care of others around us. But, as your spouse, they want to be there for you as well. Setting some self-care goals for yourself can be a great way to start the new year off on the right foot!
If you want to start taking care of yourself, here are some ideas:
- Get enough sleep.
- Stay hydrated with healthy foods and drinks.
- Do something you enjoy like getting a manicure or taking a candlelit bath.
- Take time out of each day to just be with yourself.
- Find an exercise routine that works for you.
- Hang out with your friends and make new friends.
- Get up early to ensure you’re not starting your day off in a rush.
- Do an hour daily digital blackout where you are focused and present with something other than a device.
The key is to be consistent and really strive to take better care of yourself this year if you haven’t been.
Keep the romance alive
Our last suggestion is to remember that one of the most important keys to a successful marriage is keeping the romance alive. You may not notice it, but after years of marriage, your spouse may feel like they are only your partner and not your lover.
But don't worry! There are ways to reignite that spark.
If you want to keep the romance alive in 2022, maybe try these:
- Commit to one date night a week: Date night doesn't have to be expensive or extravagant. It can be as simple as grabbing a cup of coffee and talking with each other for an hour.
- Role play: Get creative and explore new roles with your spouse. Maybe trying something different for once will surprise you and bring back the fun in your relationship!
- Surprise them: Planning surprises for your partner is a great way to keep things fresh and exciting. You could do something as little as leaving flowers on their desk at work or taking them out for dinner.
- Adult toys. Adding a sex toy to your lovemaking can spice up your intimate moments and bring some fun and adventure to your normal routine. Marriagesupply.com has plenty of toys toys to choose from with great prices, no pornographic images and always discrete shipping. You can browse our full collection of toys here!
As always our goal is to help make marriage more fun, exciting and sexy. So that fire between you two can burn bright all year long!